Welcome tO THE
Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition
Get your screenplay produced!
The Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition was created to shed a light on unheard and underrepresented voices in the film industry. The competition was created by Mammoth Pictures, a film production company with the means and resources to develop screenplays and get them produced. In today's film industry, it's harder and harder for an original screenplay to actually get made. That's where the Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition comes in. The Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition not only has the resources to get screenplays made into films, but to get those films distributed. Mammoth Pictures saw a unique opportunity to bring their talents for producing films and understanding of story to discover up and coming screenwriters, give real world industry feedback and make great films in the process. Thus the Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition was born.
The Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition is now accepting feature length screenplays that can be produced in the $100k budget range in the thriller, horror and suspense genres. With financing in place, Mammoth Pictures is positioned to produce multiple $100k feature films and is looking for the next great screenplay to bring to life. Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition is accepting screenplays in the psychological and supernatural subgenres: the screenplay should have a unique and strong story. Slashers, campy horror and screenplays leaning too heavily on scare value will have a significantly lower chance of winning. Mammoth Pictures is committed to finding the best stories with depth and heart. Your screenplay could be next.
Has your screenplay won awards at some of the major festivals? Has it received recognition and intrigue among festival judges and your peers? Submit today. Are you a veteran screenwriter looking to get a smaller script produced? Submit today. Is this your first screenplay? Submit anyway.
Please read all rules and regulations before submitting your project.
- In this unique competition, one screenplay will be produced by Mammoth Pictures for $100k. The second top screenplay will be awarded a one (1) year option to produce the screenplay.
- Screenplays should ideally take place in limited locations with a generally smaller cast of central characters, to ensure it's feasibility for being made within a $100k budget.
- Screenplays with strong and unique storylines, strong/distinct characters with developed arcs will stand out above the rest.
- Make sure your logline and synopsis are thorough, unique, well thought out and strong. Producers, Directors and Judges will review these first before reading the entire screenplay.
Awards & Prizes
Screenplay will be produced and distributed for with a budget of $100k
Screenwriter will receive writing credit per WGA standards in the produced film. Screenwriter will also receive a writer's salary from the final budget.
Screenplay will be optioned for one (1) year by Mammoth Pictures
ADDITIONAL AWARDS FOR TOP SCREENPLAYS:
*The winning screenwriter(s) will be notified upon winning and have a private consultation with Mammoth Pictures about the production of the screenplay. *The screenwriter may be included in the creative development process.
*All award winners will receive competition laurels and a private consultation with Mammoth Pictures regarding their screenplay.
Dates & Deadlines
June 7, 2017
June 23, 2017
July 14, 2017
July 31, 2017
January 5, 2018
Rules & TermS
1. The screenplay should be entirely original. It should be entirely your own work and you should own all rights to the work. It should be free of any rights or claims. It should NOT be based on a prior work of any kind, unless you own the theatrical rights to said work. (If based on a prior work, you must submit signed legal documents declaring your rights to theatrical use of the property).
2. The material should not infringe on any copyrights.
3. Screenplays currently optioned by a studio or another production company are NOT eligible.
4. Screenplays that have been optioned in the PAST by a studio or independent production company ARE eligible, as long as the options have expired, AND there are NO current options, rights or claims to the work.
5. There should be no director attached to the screenplay (screenplay's with actors attached are eligible to submit, but must submit formal document signed by attachment, or attachment's representative)
6. Accepted genres are: Horror, Thriller, Suspense. If you have a screenplay in another genre that you feel is strong enough to be produced for $100k, you are welcome to submit. Please understand that a screenplay in another genre will have to be exceptionally well crafted and feasible within a $100k budget to win.
7. Submission is open to screenwriters with all levels of experience: first time screenwriters, screenwriters with one or more films produced or optioned, screenwriters with previous award wins, screenwriters with agents or unsigned, etc. There is no limit placed on the experience of the screenwriter. In this vein, all screenplays will be considered on the merit of its story, characters and craft. Experienced screenwriters have no greater chance of winning than a first time screenwriter.
8. Recommended screenplay length is between 90 and 100 pages. Screenplays at this length have a significantly higher chance of winning. Screenplays above 120 pages will not be considered.
9. Mammoth Pictures is not obligated to include the winning writer in the creative development process. The Grand Prize winner will, however, have a private consultation with the creative team, during which process they may be invited to work on development.
10. All screenplays must be submitted in PDF form. No mailed entries will be accepted.
1. Submit your original screenplay.
2. Supplementary written materials may also be included, but are not required. These can include up to five pages of concept, character description/analysis, etc. Attach these to the end of the screenplay in the PDF file.
3. All attachment documentation, rights documentation, and other additional documents should be submitted separately to the submissions email. In the subject line write: SCREENPLAY TITLE - ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION - YOUR NAME.
1. I/We wish to have our screenplay hereby known as "SUBMISSION" included in the Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition hereby known as “MPSC”. I/We grant MPSC and its partners the right to use for promotional purposes on it's website (www.mammoth-pictures.com), on partner websites, posters, graphics, press releases, etc. my/our name(s), screenplay title and logline.
2. If more than one (1) party signs this agreement as submitter, then reference to “I”, “me”, “my” throughout this agreement shall apply to each party; jointly and separately.
3. My SUBMISSION has not been optioned, produced or purchased at this time. If it does become optioned or produced or sold during the judging period then the SUBMISSION will be disqualified and the entry fee will be forfeited. It is my obligation to let MPSC know that it has been optioned, sold or produced.
4. I understand creative revisions may be required upon winning. I also understand that if chosen as the Grand or First Prize winner, it is a requirement to sign an option agreement with Mammoth Pictures to produce the film, which will be presented to the winners and discussed upon winning. Mammoth Pictures reserves the right to amend these rules and regulations at any time.
5. I grant Mammoth Pictures permission to give a copy of my SUBMISSION to industry members if requested. Industry, includes but is not limited to executives, agents, managers, casting directors, financiers, actors and others that can aid in the development of making the SUBMISSION into a film.
6. I/We own and am the only authors of the material submitted with application and are the only people that can lay claim to this work. I further claim that the submitted material is not adapted from work of any other author. If the submitted material is adapted from work of another author, I further claim that I have expressed written documentation granting rights to the work to me, and will submit that with my SUBMISSION.
7. I understand that MPSC reserves the right to grant less than or no awards, at its sole discretion, if a lesser number of, or no entries meet the submissions requirements and/or industry standards of excellence.
8. I understand that it is my sole responsibility to register Script with the U.S. Copyright Office or with the Writer’s Guild of America or the appropriate agency in my country.
9. I understand that Mammoth Pictures, its producers and partners are relying on this release and accordingly, I hereby irrevocably waive any and all rights to seek or obtain any injunction or other equitable relief against Mammoth Pictures, its officers, agencies, employees, partners and sponsors.
10. I have read, understand, and agree to the rules and regulations stated for the Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition and in exchange for release, I receive the opportunity to have my SUBMISSION read, evaluated and judged by Mammoth Pictures as part of its Screenplay Competition and accept that there is no promise of additional payment, in any form for likeness, image, biography, recording, equipment, or for any other contribution by us on this screenplay.
11. I warrant that the use of the rights granted here and of any material supplied by me will not violate the rights of any third party. I agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Mammoth Pictures, its officers, agencies, employees, partners, and sponsors from any claims by third parties alleging that our content or material infringes on any third party’s rights. This Release and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind my assigns and any representative.
12. This contract is the entire agreement between the parties hereto, and replaces and supersedes any prior agreement or understanding, verbal or written, with respect to the subject matter hereof. No amendment, addendum, modification or waiver of this contract or any portion hereof shall be valid unless contained in a writing signed by both parties hereto.
13. This contract shall be deemed to be entered into in Santa Clara County, California, and shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California applicable to agreements entered into and carried out entirely within California. I agree that any and all disputes or controversies arising under this contract or any of its terms shall be resolved under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association, under its Commercial Arbitration Rules, through its San Jose, California office; provided, however that I agree that my remedies for any breach of this contract by Mammoth Pictures, its officers, agencies, employees, partners, and sponsors will be limited to damages to an action at law to recover and in no event will I be entitled to rescind or terminate this agreement or to seek injunctive or any other equitable relief.
14. I hereby certify that I am over eighteen years of age and competent to contract in my own name.
15. I have read the foregoing release and authorization and agreement, before affixing my signature below, and warrant that I fully understand the contents thereof.
16. I am authorized to sign and give consent for everyone who contributed to all materials submitted with this application to the Mammoth Pictures Screenplay Competition.
17. We reserve the right to refuse to consider any submission at our discretion. We reserve the right to revoke any prize at our discretion.
DISCLAIMER: By submitting your work, you hereby acknowledge that if no submitted screenplay meets all of Mammoth Pictures' criteria (i.e. can be produced for $100k in it's entirety, meets the genre requirements, the rights are fully owned and cleared, meets desired goals, etc), Mammoth Pictures reserves the right not to produce any submitted screenplay for any reason, in which case the best submitted screenplay will receive Grand Prize recognition. Mammoth Pictures is not required by law to produce the winning screenplay.